Thursday, November 22, 2007

Things are gonna change

Oh happy day! My Memaw is getting a hearing aid!

Poor Memaw's hearing has been going for a while. It's been noticeably bad in the last few years though. She can hear well enough to communicate, if the other person speaks loudly and if the person is facing her (so she can semi-lipread) and if there are no other significant noises. She used to be one of the big talkers at our family gatherings. But lately, she just can't, not unless someone is talking to her, and only to her. She's begun to sit aside, just watching, simply because it's hard for her to participate. She's not stupid. She knows that it is frustrating for us to have a conversation with her. And it's just as frustrating for her, I'm sure.

I've been asking her to get her hearing checked for the last several years, so I'm really glad she's finally done it.

Her newly regained hearing will severely cut down on the opportunity for -- oh, someone -- to have an additional conversation about Memaw during the conversation with her.

Hypothetically, of course.

3 comments:

JP said...

That is great! I was SO happy when my dad finally got hearing aids. I'd been after him for about, oh 20 years, to do it. :-]

Fresh Girl said...

Aww, I'm glad for your Memaw! We tried to talk my Mamaw into getting hearing aids, but because her sister's always had a ringing noise in them (25 or so years ago!), she never would do it. By the time she died this summer, we practically had to shout for her to hear us.

Just another southern gay guy said...

I'm not commenting. This is me, not commenting. Just so you know, I am pointedly not commenting.