Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Those pesky resolutions

Okay, here it is.

I am going to be more active this year.

There. I said it. I've never made a real New Year's Resolution before, not one that I had any actual intention of keeping.

This actually started in November 2006 when I decided that enough was enough. I borrowed a Leslie Sansone walking video from Brenda, and I found that it was really easy to do. That's exactly what I needed -- easy. Walking? HEY, I can walk! Well, there's a little more to it than just walking, but basically, that's it. It's fast paced, and the movements are varied enough that it's not really boring.

I used Brenda's video for about a week -- long enough to figure out if I was really going to do it. I bought the DVD in December, and I've been doing one mile a day faithfully for about the past three weeks. Ironically enough, I got the DVD in the mail the same day that my car died, and the urchins and I walked 3.5 miles home. Uh, no. I didn't do the program that day.

The first mile takes exactly 16 minutes. At first I was really tired at the end of that first mile, and I had to make myself do it. Now, it's not that difficult to get to the end. Skeeter has been doing it with me since December 30. I had planned to move on to the second mile on January 15, but I may wait until February 1 to give him the time to catch up, so to speak.

So now it's out there. You and the tic marks on my calendar can hold me accountable.

No comments: