Friday, January 26, 2007

Friday Fact

Something about me that you probably don't know:

I tried to join the Peace Corps after college graduation. I spent my entire senior year filling out the applications, having interviews, and seeing doctors for them. Three months before graduation, I still didn't have approval, so I sent out a other applications, specifically to several Catholic charities.

Just before graduation, I still hadn't received approvals from any organizations. I finally decided that I had to have a job and a place to live. I told my part-time employer that I would work full time after graduation, and I put a deposit down on housing. The week that I moved in, I got approvals from four of the places I'd applied.

At that point I'd spent most of my ready-cash on my deposit and moving in, so I turned them all down. Instead, I volunteered at a restored Victorian home, a homeless shelter, and a church, all in my community.

I'd like to think I helped make a difference anyway.

No comments: