Thursday, December 27, 2007

A new favorite

A couple of months ago, Alkelda at Saints and Spinners mentioned how much she liked the new Robert Plant/Alison Krauss CD. I love Alison Krauss, and I like Robert Plant. Plus, Alkelda and I seem to have the same tastes on quite a lot of things, so I bought it last month.

I had saved it to go in my Santa stocking, since I wasn't sure if Skeeter would remember to pick anything up. Now that I've finally gotten to listen to it -- I love it. Love it!

The whole CD is a wonderful and surprising blend of their styles. Plant's, to be sure, is more reminiscent of his later solo work rather than his screaming Zeppelin days. True, hard-core Zep fans probably won't be impressed, since the work overall seems to have its roots in the slow, melodic folksy sounds that Krauss favors. I was particularly interested to see that most of the songs that have copyright dates are from the 1950s and 1960s.

It's early in my listening, but honestly, I think this is going to have staying power and be one of my long-term favorites.

Oh, and if you follow the link to the website, you can listen to the entire album there. But then do yourself a favor and buy it. :)

2 comments:

Candy said...

My husband just gave me "Mothership", the Zeppelin compilation they recently remastered and put out. I really do love Robert Plant, and not just the screaming Zep stuff ;). He started out as a blues singer. I'll have to give this one a listen. Thanks for sharing.

Saints and Spinners said...

I'm so glad you like the album. It's my favorite of 2007.