Friday, December 28, 2007

For the love of flannel

Skeeter and I have slept on flannel sheets -- year-round -- for the past 10 years or so. That actually started as a happy accident. We had purchased a new bed -- queen, as opposed to the full size we had before -- and didn't have sheets to fit, so we ran out to Sam's Club the day it was supposed to be delivered.

I don't remember the day, but it must have been mid-winter at least. We found a set of queen sized flannel sheets on clearance for $10. I had never used flannel sheets before, but for $10 I was willing to take a chance.

It was love at first sleep.

Those first sheets must have been of far better quality than I had realized because when I went to find another set, I had a difficult time finding ones that were nice enough. But by then I'd been spoiled by the softness of the flannel, and I couldn't imagine going back to plain cotton. Have you ever tried to find flannel sheets at Target during the summer? Not easy, my friend. Not at all. Now I make a point to buy a new set when they first get put on the shelves, and I always have two sets, just in case.

The bed is a bit of an obsession for me, as I've mentioned before.

All that has changed, for the moment. Skeeter bought a new bedding set for me for Christmas, and it came with a set of (you guessed it) plain cotton sheets. I don't have matching flannel sheets, so I'm currently using the ones that came with the set.

It's driving me nuts. I almost can't sleep because of it.

I went to Target tonight, just so that I could buy a set of matching flannel sheets. Oh the horror!! They were sold out of the sage green queen size flannel sheets! I almost bought the pink plaid, but it would have clashed just as horribly as the ones we have now. And I'm not sure I could sleep on those anyway.

So tomorrow, the search is on.

4 comments:

PEZmama said...

No flannel sheets for me. No ma'am.

But I am REALLY weird about the kind of sheets I will use. You certainly can't buy them.

Let's just say I have issues, and leave it there.

Just another southern gay guy said...

My Fella loves flannel too. If you find any more $10 deals in Queen, grab me a set.

Fresh Girl said...

Flannel!! Ack! Flannel is the EVIL, like slimy foods, the New England Patriots, Alabama Crimson Tide, and bugs with lots of legs.

I would lie there and freeze to death before I'd sleep between flannel sheets, and you know why? 'Cause they grab hold of whatever you're sleeping in and they won't let go for you to turn over. The sheets get twisted and then your nightgown gets twisted and there you are, a prisoner in your flannel sheets. :-(

Flannel Sheets Queen Size said...

We found a set of queen sized flannel sheets on clearance for $10. I had never used flannel sheets before, but for $10 I was willing to take a ... flannelqueensize.blogspot.com