Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Good old Southern food

Last night I made a veritable feast of Southern foods -- rotel chicken, fried green tomatoes, fried zucchini, homemade macaroni and cheese. It probably sounds disgusting to anyone who hasn't actually tried all of them, but . . . . mere words cannot describe the yummy goodness.

Michael came for dinner too. Considering the way that he kept going back to the rotel chicken, I think that might have been his favorite. I offered to send the rest of it home with him, but he declined. "I'll just eat it if you do."

My personal favorite was, as always, the fried green tomatoes. They don't look beautiful, but trust me, they were good!


Sass and Spyder don't like them though, so the adults got to finish them all. Sass decided early on that she did like the zucchini though, and (with a bit of help from Skeeter and Michael, I think) I made it to the table with about half of my original plateful.

Today though, I think I'll lay off the fried foods and processed cheese.

2 comments:

PEZmama said...

Can you tell me if you use unripened red tomatoes or if you use a variety of tomatoes that is just green?

Noodle said...

No, they're just plain old unripened tomatoes. Some farmers markets sell them, I think. I was trying to explain the taste yesterday, and I'm not sure I can.

Here is my recipe, in case you want to try:

Mix two eggs and about 1/2 cup of milk for the egg wash.

Dip the tomato slices in the egg wash.

Coat with cornmeal and fry in a skillet.

Sit back and enjoy the essence of yummy.