Monday, July 16, 2007

Pity Party

This is a rant/vent/pity party. Read on at your own peril.

Today was just a rotten day. It was one of those days where you think, "Good heavens. I just need to go back to bed and try again tomorrow."

Generally, I like Mondays. I'm strange that way, but I do. I like the way that it starts our routine again, since we always get off schedule on the weekends. Mondays always feel fresh to me, like a new beginning. I usually start out feeling excited and hopeful, a little like the first day of school. Today was just sour from the start.

And really, it wasn't any one great incident that set the tone for the day. Just one little thing after another. And another. And another.

-- The children couldn't get along. At all. All day.

-- My mom informed me that I'm going to be transporting far more than I planned when we leave for vacation later this week. In my new not-so-big car. I feel like I shouldn't complain, but at the moment, I'm wondering if I'm going to have room for any of my luggage.

-- I was slighted by a friend. This actually happened a couple of months ago, but I've been incessantly reminded of it for the past week or so. I've just about had it, and I can't figure out how to tell the person who keeps reminding me because I don't think she's doing it intentionally.

-- Skeeter dropped unhappy news on me. Well, more problematic than unhappy, but still, it's yet another thing to deal with.

-- I'm feeling overwhelmed by everything I have to do before we leave for vacation, and my schedule has been moved up a day due to circumstances beyond anyone's control.

-- I'm feeling guilty for feeling overwhelmed because my mom has far more going on than I do, and I feel like I should give her all of the support I can.

And the list could go on, but I'll spare you. By early evening, I wanted to lock myself in the bathroom and have a good cry. But instead, I did what I always do when I'm upset but still "on duty" -- I sat on the floor of the kitchen and scrubbed the cabinets, teary-eyed but quiet.

I hope tomorrow is better, but my dad is having heart surgery in the morning, and I already know that I'll start off the day fretting and worrying.

No comments: