Tuesday, October 21, 2008

So here's the deal

This school year has been, er, busy. I know, I know. It always is, but this is more than usual. Busier than a one-armed paper-hanger, to use one of my mom's favorite expressions.

I used to have a rule of no more than two outside activities per week. That started when Sass was little because I didn't want to drag her to Spyder's activities every day. Now that she's older, I've been seriously lax on that, particularly this year. That's partly because Sass was missing her BFF Olivia so much, and we participated in more of the activities to help compensate.

I overdid it.

We haven't had a completely at home day in over three weeks. THREE WEEKS, PEOPLE. That's just how far I went back on the calendar before I got annoyed with myself. It's making me a wreck!

We had commitments for every day this week as well. We kept the ones for Monday and Tuesday (today) and Friday's are tentative. The urchins are trying to decide whether they want to keep the Friday one, but I doubt they will. And in fact, I will probably definitely discourage it because Friday's commitments (yes, two in one day) require 45 minutes of driving to one, 20 minutes of driving to the other. One way. And they are nowhere near each other. One is east of our house; one is south.

We are SO back to the two days a week rule. Starting now.


Noodle4

5 comments:

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

Whoo!!

I see this isn't a tell-all blog, so I won't ask about how much ga$ is costing you.

CelticBuffy said...

We went through that last year, with all of us having too many activities. This year each child is limited to two, that do not run concurrently. Life is a bit easier that way and we're not constantly running.

smalltownme said...

I get freaky if I have too many things to do. I'm not liking the looks of my calendar this week...3 nights (4pm to 9pm) of driving Ernest 50 miles away.

PEZmama said...

You need to get yourself an unreliable vehicle. It does wonders for keeping you in the house.

Of course, then you might tend toward the stir-craziness to such a degree that your lesson about Canada turns into jam session as you and your children rock out to "Kids Wanna Rock" and "She's Only Happy When She's Dancin'."

What? Bryan Adams is Canadian!

Anonymous said...

I can't stand being gone from home more than a couple of days (okay, more like one day!) a week. I start going crazy.

Wednesdays are jam-packed from the time we get up just because I'd rather pack everything into one day and be exhausted that day than be gone a few days a week and be crazy.

All that to say, I feel your pain. ;0