Monday, October 29, 2007

Olive Rolls

Several weeks ago, the children and I made a recipe related to our study on ancient Rome. Essentially, it's a crusty yeast bread stuffed intermittently with olives. Unlike many of those "ancient recipes," it was pretty good -- good enough for us to make as part of our regular meals. But being me, I had to tweak the recipe.

I made an olive salad with black olives, green olives, garlic, and a bit of olive oil, all chopped together in a food chopper. The olive salad is stuffed into unbaked bits of dough, about the size of the palm of the hand.

If I'm feeling ambitious, I make the dough using this recipe on Allrecipes. If not, I let Pillsbury do the major work for me and use refrigerated dough instead.

It works best to completely cover the olive salad, then place the roll seam-down on the baking sheet. This is a great recipe for little hands though, as it doesn't really matter if the olive salad spills out a bit.

The result:


Sass did three of the four. Can you guess which one I did? :)

1 comment:

Southern Girl said...

Hey, you could use that olive salad for making muffalettas, too! I've been meaning to do one of those soon.