Thursday, September 20, 2007

It's not all gloom and doom

Quick update on my dad:

Monday was bad. Badbadbad. He declined rapidly, all day, and the doctors had us gather the family members. I sobbed so much and so hard that my face hurt -- my jaws were sore from clenching them so much; my teeth hurt; my head felt like it was going to explode. My aunt (his only surviving sibling) had a panic attack that night in the waiting room, chills and throwing up so much that we had to take her to the ER.

Tuesday, his decline halted. *poof* Just like that. He was stable and able to communicate all day, as much as possible with charades and eye movements, anyway. It was a lot of guesswork on our part. Toward the afternoon, he had something important to tell us. No one could figure out what it was and it took ages. What was so all important? He couldn't see the television. Oh yeah, that's my daddy!

Wednesday he was stable. Same as Tuesday, but a bit of pain and definitely tired. Whenever I went in, I only stayed a moment, just long enough for him to know I was there, then I left to let him get as much rest as possible.

I haven't been this morning yet. I'll go a bit later, once I do a bit of neglected housework and the children do their schoolwork. Dad is definitely feeling more himself though. He asked for a Coke first thing, then he asked for Skeeter's coffee. :)

They're taking him off the ventilator today, and they're taking the internal blood pressure monitor out. It's still touch-and-go, but it's not as precarious as it was earlier this week.

Prayers work wonders! Again, thank you all so much for the prayers said on his behalf.

1 comment:

Southern Girl said...

I'm so glad he's doing some better! He may surprise you all yet and improve enough for the surgery and walk out of the hospital.