Wednesday, February 07, 2007

The Devil in the Junior League

The Devil in the Junior League shows us the life of Fredericka Mercedes Hildebrand Ware (Frede to her friends), a pampered and privileged Texas socialite. Her picture-perfect world falls apart the day that she comes home to find another woman in her house who claims to be pregnant -- by Frede's husband.

This book falls firmly into the "Chick Lit" category, and I picked it up on a whim. It's not my usual book fare.

Despite her privileged status, Frede is a good person at heart. She does have some class prejudices, but she recognizes them for what they are. She isn't cruel with those prejudices, unlike many of her peers. She is flawed (who isn't?), but Frede is a likable character, which is what I really liked about the novel. Even though I quickly realized that this book really wasn't my style, Frede herself was the reason I continued to read it.

Recommended only for those who enjoy the "Chick Lit" genre.

No comments: