Wednesday, November 15, 2006

The simple life


My children absolutely love to play outside. (And I must say, I'm grateful for that sometimes.) We have a swingset and a huge privet hedge, both which get tremendous amounts of play time.

The swingset is not only "the swingset" but it also serves as Spyder's "spy training course." The privet hedge is commonly known as The Enchanted Forest, complete with a little cottage (made by Spyder and Sass).

They haven't had any new "outside toys" in about three years though, so I've been trying to think of something new and fun to add to their play that wouldn't cost a lot.

The solution? A teeter totter. My dad built one for me when I was little, and I figured he could come up with something. He sure did! One sawhorse, one board, and four nuts and bolts later, and we have a new source of fun.

It doesn't look beautiful, but it serves its purpose, and the urchins think it's the best thing ever. Sass was a little bit unsure of it at first, since it does go pretty high, but now that we've had it a few days she's almost as confident on it as Spyder!

No comments: