Monday, November 27, 2006

Frozen Salad?

When I was about 10 or so, my mom started making a dessert she called "Frozen Salad." What a horrible name for a dessert! It sounds like it should be broccoli and mushrooms and whatnot -- all stirred up and thrown in the freezer. Yuck!

It's actually pretty good, despite the wretched name. Michael Ann, Michael, and I immediately renamed it "Sugar Coated Pink Marshmallow Fluff," a much more descriptive and accurate name.

My mom has abandoned it for several years in lieu of making newer recipes. She made Sugar Coated Pink Marshmallow Fluff for this Thanksgiving though. My children have decided that they like it, so it looks like I'll be making it now too. Ahhh, traditions!

For those who would like to try this oh-so-Southern fare, I've included the recipe.

*******************************

Judy's Sugar Coated Pink Marshmallow Fluff

1 can crushed pineapple
1 cup mini marshmallows
3/4 cup chopped nuts
1 can condensed milk
8 oz cool whip
1 can cherry pie filling

Mix everything together, adding the pie filling last. Freeze until set, then allow to thaw slightly before serving.

*******************************

It's good stuff, y'all! Be warned though -- don't get a large serving. It's rich!

No comments: