Wednesday, July 12, 2006

That bottomless pantry!

I'm beginning to think it has a bottom after all! Yesterday I went through both the pantry and the freezer and organized everything according to type. All the frozen veggies together, all the grains, etc. I found that we have exactly three chicken breasts left, and that's IT for the meat! Unless I count the package of veggie sausage. :o)

I did go to the market last night because we were completely out of milk, creamer, and bread. And those are absolute essentials. I spent a total of $12.90 because I got the remaining ingredients for cucumber salad as well. I made that today, and it was just fantastic! So easy to make and wonderfully summery.

********************

Cucumber Summer Salad

2 cucumbers, peeled, sliced and quartered
10 oz cubed mozzarella cheese
2 tomatoes, diced
1 small container blue cheese
Italian dressing, about 1/2 cup

Mix all ingredients and chill for at least 1/2 hour before serving.

********************

Sometimes I mix pasta with it as well, and occasionally prosciutto, to make it more of a "main" dish rather than a side.

I know that I've cheated a little bit on the pantry challenge, but it's really doing what was intended -- using up things that have been in there for ages, as well as making me take stock of what I have.

On a not-so-good note, Skeeter didn't like yesterday's chicken and black bean dish at all, so I'm trying to think of a way to change it or spice it up. I'm going to clip some cilantro tomorrow -- my plants are doing quite well! -- and I may add some cayenne pepper. We had it over rice, and I think that was at least part of what he didn't like. Maybe I can grab a bag of tortilla chips and use it as a hearty dip instead.

Ideas, anyone?

No comments: