Thursday, July 13, 2006

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest


Skeeter, Spyder (and a friend), and I went to see the new Pirates of the Caribbean film last night.

I didn't hate it, but I certainly didn't like it as much as the original. I don't want to give any spoilers, so I'm going to try to be as vague as possible.

As before, the action scenes were excellent, and overall the film was great fun. And I'd say it is a film that works best in a movie theatre, on the big screen. The water wheel scene alone is worth the price of admission. We saw it on an IMAX-style screen, and it was one of my favorite scenes in the film!

I also loved the depiction of Davy Jones and the crewmen, as more creatures of the sea than true men. That was excellent!

Most people have heard that there will be a third installment what has become the Pirates of the Caribbean series. I don't think it's much of a spoiler to say that this film felt like it was doing nothing more than setting up the third film. It raised issues and questions that weren't resolved. They weren't even explored. They were sort of dropped into the viewer's mind, then left.

I'll definitely see the third Pirates film, but I'm sorely disappointed that this one was merely set-up for the next.

No comments: