Friday, July 14, 2006

Pantry news

WOOHOO!! Things are looking good in the pantry and freezer! Things are clearing out, and I can see the light! LOL!

We have used all of the meat in the freezer, with the exception of two large chicken breasts and a ham bone for soup. We'll have the chicken this week, but the soup will have to wait for cooler weather. I'm not really interested in soup when it's 100 degrees outside.

We have (no kidding) a two gallon bucket full of rice that I completely forgot about. I found it in the back of the freezer. It's been there since October of last year, so that needs to be used ASAP. Luckily, we eat rice quite a lot! Since we're in the South, I keep all of our grains that require "long term" storage in the freezer. Flour, pasta, cornmeal, rice, and occasionally spices go into the freezer because they can get buggy if they're stored more than a couple of months, especially during the summer.

Tomorrow is grocery shopping for the must-haves, so I'm planning to go through the fridge, freezer, and pantry to make a list of what we still have. I'll have to do that to be able to plan what we need to use. I know that I'll have to buy eggs, spinach, carrots, and the like, but I'll need to plan our main meals, and I can't do that without assessing what we still have.

No comments: