Saturday, August 05, 2006

Family Day

We spent yesterday at my parents' house. My sister was visiting, and we don't get to see her very often, since she lives about 6 hours away. The only day that the rest of the family was available was Friday, so we decided to have the big family cookout then rather than waiting until Saturday or Sunday.

Skeeter fell at work on Thursday and twisted his ankle very badly, so he spent the morning at the minor medical center. (He's fine; he got the usual "keep it elevated" directive.) He got home at about noon, and we headed out just afterward.

We got there around 2 pm, and the children immediately headed to play with Ranger, my sister's dog. He's a beautiful chocolate lab with a great personality. He's only about a year old, so he's still playful enough that he and the children really enjoy each other. It was hot though, so we brought the doggie inside not long after.

We spent the day doing what we usually do at Mom & Dad's house -- chatting, watching the children explore the bean field and climb the trees, and playing with the dogs.

The children were, of course, absolutely filthy by the end of the day. It's a very good thing that I believe in the "always prepared" mantra when it comes to the children, and I had extra clothes and underwear for both of them. There is absolutely no way that I would have even let them into the car without a bath. Spyder's feet were black from all of the dirt, and his whole body had a layer of grey dirt. I had to wash his shoes! (Luckily, he wore his Crocs, which are pretty easily washable.) I still don't know exactly what he got into that made his feet so black. Sass doesn't like to wear shoes when she's playing outside, so I didn't have to clean her shoes, but she did have a nice layer of dirt everywhere though. :o)

It was a very full and fun day, but it's left me confused on the days of the week, since yesterday felt like a Saturday!

1 comment:

Saints and Spinners said...

I still don't know exactly what he got into that made his feet so black.

Didn't I tell you? He was walking across my freshly washed and dried floor! Sigh.