Saturday, August 19, 2006

Back to school

We had our annual homeschooling "back to school" party on Friday, from 11 am to 4 pm. And let me tell you, that is a long time to be in a gym with 60+ children. It was a great party though.

The gym is made for roller skating, so my urchins had a wonderful time learning how to skate. Sass was doing very, very well by the time we left. Spyder, on the other hand, wasn't faring as well. I think we're going to be doing skating more often though. It was loads of fun! Ah, I do remember the roller skating days . . . . Friday nights at Skateland. Oh, the memories! Sadly though, I didn't get out there to skate. I was very busy trying to hold up my children. Plus, I was a little bit afraid that I would make a fool out of myself!

We also had a mini-curriculum fair, and I found an excellent science curriculum that I can use for both children. It is engaging enough that Sass should be interested, but we can make it challenging enough to keep Spyder working as well. We're saving so that Spyder and Skeeter can attend the Father/Son Space Camp, so I chose the Apologia Astronomy curriculum. Several people had recommended it, and I had looked at it online, but I couldn't really decide if it was for us until I actually held it in my hand. (Being a tactile person is a detriment at times.) I ordered it immediately, and I can't wait to get started on it!

No comments: