Monday, June 11, 2007

Dinner tonight: green and white

I'm in the midst of a Pantry Challenge -- cooking from what I already have stocked in the pantry or freezer.

Tonight was (not surprisingly) stir-fry! Normally, I try to make the dish a bit more colorful, but in working with only what I had already, that's how it ended up -- green. Broccoli, sugar snap peas, and sweet peas from the freezer; bell pepper from the fridge. I didn't even have any brown rice to go with it, so I had to use the white.


And let me give you a little secret to making really good Asian stir-fry at home -- toasted sesame oil. Good stuff! The flavor is like no other oil, and it gives the stir fry a great taste. If you think that your Asian dishes just don't taste quite right, try using the sesame oil in place of whatever you usually use. It's expensive but definitely worth it. I use it for all of my homemade Chinese and Thai dishes.

And I'm pretty sure that stir-fry isn't normally served with mini corn muffins, but hey, I'm a week and a half into it, and I'm feeling the challenge. :)

No comments: