Sunday, May 13, 2007

The couch

My mom must have the most comfortable couch ever. At any family function, the couch is sure to have its own slumbering guest.

Today we celebrated Mother's Day, and in usual fashion, we had a cookout at my parents' house with a house and porch full of people. Ribs on the grill, potato salad, homemade macaroni and cheese . . . the works.

My dad usually chooses the old couch for his naps. The Michael and Uncle Richard weren't at the celebration, so I expected the napping couch to be empty. It wasn't. My cousin E set up residence and didn't move for at least three hours.

The children and I shot the basketball. We played catch. Spyder shot the BB gun. Sass, Spyder, and Skeeter all rode the 4-wheeler. E slept through all of it. He even slept through Sass and Spyder's game of hide and seek/tag through the house, which required squeals, shouts, and slamming doors. He was still asleep on the couch when we left. As far as I can remember, E has never been one of the nappers, but today he outdid them all.

My family has a tendency to name everything. Just in the living room we have

The old couch
The orange chair
The poofy couch
The rocker
and
The new rocker

Today I hereby declare that The Poofy Couch is officially renamed. Hereafter, The Poofy Couch will be referred to as The Napping Couch.

Case closed.

No comments: