Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Ah, memories!

Today I came across Smockity Frocks via Works for Me Wednesday at Rocks in My Dryer. Her post is on juggling, and I was immediately reminded of my own juggling days.

Juggling days (you ask, curiously)? Yes, I once learned to juggle, during those strange but memorable college days.

My friends Shannon and Gary taught me to juggle, in about six hours one Saturday night. I suppose it was efficient, mastering it in one night. But there is a disadvantage to mastering it in only one night.

In learning to juggle, I dropped the things for 4.5 of the 6 hours. The next day, my legs hurt so badly from the constant bending and picking up that I could barely walk up the stairs to my dorm room.

And now for the most interesting part of my juggling experience: I learned to juggle using breast implants. Shannon and Gary both worked at Dow, which made breast and testicle implants, and they had an abundance of the things. They used stuck them in the freezer and used them as cold packs for bruises and sprains. They filled an old throw pillow with them and used it as a footrest. And they used them for juggling.

By the end of the night, I even had favorites. They were the perfect size for my hands, and they were textured, so they had a better throw than the smooth ones.

Shannon and Gary gave me four of my favorites, and I used them throughout my college years. It was my favorite way to work out a problem with my schoolwork.

Unfortunately, someone took two of them from my dorm about halfway through my senior year. I was both appalled and saddened by the theft. By then, both Shannon and Gary had graduated and moved away, and I didn't know anyone who had quite the stash that they did, so I was never able to replace my juggling supplies. I tried working with "normal" bean bags, but they never felt right, so alas, my juggling days came to an end.

But after this ramble down memory lane, I think I may look into those bean bags again.

No comments: