Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Lifting the cone of silence*

I know; I know. I just left you hangin'. I'm sorry.

Several people sent emails, and my sister even called (twice) to ask me to PLEASE WRITE SOMETHING. ANYTHING.

But you know what got me? Skeeter.

I was on the phone with Sister Lisa, who was once again asking when I was planning to take up the whole blogging thing again. While Lisa and I were talking, Skeeter popped in with, "February 5th."

Huh?

"February 5th was the last day you posted. And it was about the dead fish."

Oh dear. Well, I suppose it was.

So let me give you the update on poor Blaze's demise. And funeral.

The urchins were quite upset, especially Spyder. I asked if he wanted to bury Blaze, and he did, but he wanted ME to do it.

Hrm. While I didn't exactly mind, I didn't particularly think it was good for Spyder. Having someone else complete the burial ritual doesn't exactly bring closure to you, right?

So I put it off, saying that I wanted it to be done at sunset for symbolic reasons. Spyder liked that idea, and we talked about Blaze and his coming funeral off and on throughout the day. We decided that Blaze would be buried under the Spyder's tree so that he could help sprout new life.

Eventually (as I was hoping) Spyder decided that he wanted to do the burying himself. He and Sass had a nice funeral for Blaze at sunset.

I won't even attempt to catch up on all of the funny things that the urchins have done -- because they are quite the little entertainers -- but I've promised myself (and Skeeter) that I would begin to record them again.

*That's for Skeeter too.

Noodle4

7 comments:

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

Welcome back! :]

Anonymous said...

Oh I have missed you! So glad you are coming back to us!

CelticBuffy said...

Welcome back. Glad to hear that Blaze was sent off in style.

smalltownme said...

May Blaze rest in peace. We've had fish funerals. We played "Under the Sea" at one of them.

Anonymous said...

That's so odd that you posted today, because I was thinking, just this morning, that I needed to email you and see if you'd fallen off the face of the planet.

Welome back!

Tina said...

I've been wondering about you...glad everything's ok! :)

*we just saw that movie this past weekend! Funny!

Vanessa said...

I'm getting caught up too. I remember the fish and am glad it ended (relatively) well.