Tuesday, December 09, 2008

The bookstore

I can't even say how much I love working at the bookstore. I enjoy it for lots of reasons, but a big part of that is the customers. There is a fine line there though, because sometimes they make me hate working there. But that's another story.

This is about the nicest guy who came in on Sunday night. Very personable. We chatted for a moment, the usual small-talk, building up to what he really needed.

HIM: "I need to find a Prosthetic Bible."

ME: "I'm sorry. I didn't catch that. You need to find . . . what?"

HIM: "A Prosthetic Bible."

ME: "Oh, you mean a Prophetic Bible. They are right this way."

HIM: "No. Prosthetic."

ME: "I think you may have the wrong word there . . . ."

HIM: "No, it's a Prosthetic Bible. I am sure of it."

ME: "Um. Well. Hmmmm. I have never seen one of those. Let me show you the section for the Bibles."

About half an hour later . . . . .

HIM: "I never did find a Prosthetic Bible. You might want to think about carrying those."

ME: "I'll make a note of that."

Very personable guy, but slightly vocabulary-challenged.


Noodle4

5 comments:

CelticBuffy said...

I wonder what exactly he thought he was looking for. Or why he wasn't willing to admit that, after perusing the Bible section, maybe he was off on his spelling/pronunciation.

Vanessa said...

What a funny, odd man. I agree with the vocabulary challenged but why not just admit when you are wrong? Or if that is really what you want, ask Google because Google would set him straight with 13832942385825 results in .14 seconds.

Smiling Shelly said...

Tee-hee! Funny!

PEZmama said...

The prosthetic Bible is the kind you wear on your head. (Sort of like the Jews did with the phylacteries.) People like them because then they don't have to read the words. They just learn the Bible through plasmosis.

Tina said...

You should've taken him to the DICTIONARY section! lol