Today Skeeter and I celebrate our 14th wedding anniversary. Well, technically we won't celebrate today because he is away on a business trip. But 14 years ago today, we were married.
1. We were married in the church that I had attended since I was 5.
2. Everyone made fun of me because I wanted an opera selection as part of the music. I think everyone else hated it, but I loved that piece. Still do.
3. It rained horribly the night before, and I just knew, KNEW, that it was going to be a terrible mess at the church. The rain stopped in the early morning hours, and one of the men of the church was thoughtful enough to clear the tree debris from the parking lot. That was an incredible kindness that I have never forgotten.
4. I quit my job a week before the wedding. I moved from my city to stay with my parents, then after the wedding, I moved to Skeeter's city. It was a scary time for me.
5. Skeeter and I went to England for our honeymoon. It was fabulous.
6. One of Skeeter's groomsmen couldn't come to the wedding because his wife went into labor. I can always remember his son's birthday because of it.
7. The Michael saved the day and stepped in for the missing groomsman.
8. Skeeter was nervous and made one of the candles shoot into the air at the ceremony. Everyone in the church laughed, but he borrowed and lighter, relit the candle and we moved on. It's a great memory.
9. I wish my Nana had still been alive to be there.
10. Skeeter's cake had Mickey Mouse and equations that I still have no idea what they meant.
11. Skeeter's nephew was the ring bearer. The nephew is now in college.
12. I bought the gifts for the attendants at antique shops. My hometown's downtown area is filled with little antique shops, and I had fun looking for individual gifts.
13. I still think that potluck wedding receptions taste far better than catered. They may not be as pretty, but you can't argue with the flavor.
14. I would happily do it all over again.
Happy anniversary, honey!